So last week one of the guys who works for me retired. He had just had enough of all the "stuff" that happens at work,, and all the "help" we get from Management. (Yes, I know,, I am management too). Anyway he walks by my office and said that he needed to see me for a minute. When we go inside he says that he had heard what I had done for another vet and wanted to tell me thanks. That vietnam vets don't get much help and that he really appreciated it. His eyes said a lot more and if you've ever seen a vets eyes when he talks about the flag, the country or his experiences then you know what I mean.
I thought that was pretty cool.
Ok,, the rest of the story. There is another guy here, vietnam vet, who I first met about 4 years ago. He just didn't talk about the war,, or his experiences there. Over time I told him a few stories about my experiences and he started to tell me some. Like the fact that he was shot down in three airplanes, and a few other things. I ended up going to a flag ceremony here on veterans day 3 years ago and quite enjoyed it. So as time went on and we continued to share information I ended up inviting him to go to the veterans day thing 2 years ago. We went and had breakfast, went to the flag ceremony and then went over and had donuts at the VFW hall talking a little more about our separate experiences. We separated after that and I went and talked to my Uncle for awhile who had been in WWII.
The next morning he came and thanked me for taking the time to share with him. He said that he really appreciated it and that it meant a lot to him. A few days later he sent me a card, again expressing his thanks and that he felt a lot more free than he had in a long time.
We continue to share our military experiences as time and opportunity permits.
Oh,, the shot down thing. He was Air Force Para-Rescue during Vietnam. That means he went in to get the downed pilots and crews. Tough job! A great american.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's funny how you don't realize sometimes, when you are doing something great.
Post a Comment